My new home. Despite the fact this blog is called allisoninBUSAN..., haha, turns out I'm living in Ulsan, the industrial capital of South Korea. I found out the week that I was leaving that Busan (my first choice) had been filled up and they moved me to my second choice placement (Ulsan). But I am more than convinced that God had this all planned out far before I knew anything.. the school, the kids, my co-teacher, even the other teachers on staff at my school and the other english teachers in my city... I have been so incredibly blessed so far with amazing people and friends already. I have so much to be thankful for. My apartment is really nice, it came furnished with an american style bed, desk, table and chairs, tv, and apparently is a lot bigger than some of the other teacher's apartments! I even have my own walk-in closet.. who would have guessed?? I live about three minutes (walking) from my school and I am pretty much in the heart of the city, so it's pretty easy to get around on the busses and everything. Oh and that's another thing! I'm living in a city for the first time ever, so the bus, taxi, people everywhere thing has taken some getting used to! But I am getting really comfortable with all of it, so that's good.
My co-teacher. She is amazingly wonderful. She is a Christian and reminds me of mom sometimes (: She is sooo sweet and goes out of her way for me all the time. She tries so hard to make sure everything is perfect for me. It has also been her job to make sure I get settled (internet, cell phone, alien registration card, bank account, etc. etc.) And let me tell you... that has not been an easy list of things to attain... we have spent many, many hours together working on this 'essential' stuff, and I know she is exhausted. I'm pretty sure she doesn't get any extra benefits (money or anything) for doing all this either. She is such a blessing. One short story... the first week I was here, I didn't have hot water yet, because the gas wasn't turned on in my apartment. Well, I mentioned it to her, just to see if she knew who to talk to. And when we asked the owner of my apartment, she said it would be at least a few days. A couple days later, my co-teacher showed up at my door before school, unexpected!, and came in and said "Oh! I took a cold shower this morning to see what you have been going through and it was terrible! If we don't get this fixed today, you will come to my home to shower tonight!" Haha, it just made me smile. She took me out to eat last night at the Outback Steakhouse, which was quite a treat... mmmm sooo good. (: Oh and she tells me about all the important nutrients all the korean food has... I get a lesson at lunch every day!! Haha, believe it or not... even the soup with the little fish in it is good for you because the fish are so small you can eat their bones and that has calcium in it... haha. maybe I didn't want to know that.
friends. I have made a few really good friends (other native english speaking teachers) and they have been a blessing also. They have been so much fun to hang out with and share stories with and I think we help keep each other sane sometimes.. haha. We have been exploring around our city some, but a group of us also went to Busan last weekend, which was a lot of fun! We got to swim in the ocean, sing in the norebang (karaoke), and kind of experience a public bath house and a 'love motel.' All those elements made quite the adventure... haha. If you would like to hear more about any of those things, I would be more than happy to share!
Well, I love you all! Thank you for your prayer and support. I am so thankful for you!
allison
1 comment:
First of all I am sooo glad you posted a new blog, primarily becuase I am living vicariously through you, since I have no life in law school..lol...Everything sounds like its going awesome, and it really does seem like God has placed you in the perfect situation, and Outback Steakhouse is never a bad idea, even half way around the world!!...Don't forget to update here and there..Have fun!...later
Post a Comment