Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Fall is here!
Well as ashamed a I am to admit this.. it has been another month.. and I'm finally updating again.. but I have to say that this whole blogging thing isn't something I'm used to and it's a lot harder than I thought it would be to keep consistent updates. So, for that, I'm sorry!
So as I just said, it has been exactly 2 months (today!) since I have been in Korea.. and I honestly can't believe it. This month flew by! It makes me think that the rest of this year will probably do the same. I have finally gotten into a pretty good routine with most things and keeping very busy! I just started taking my Korean language class last week, so now I can read most Korean words, even though it takes me a while sometimes. The Ulsan Education Center is providing all the foreign teachers with these classes for free, meeting twice a week for two hours each time; it's such a good opportunity and I'm really happy to be learning more than just the very essential/ basic words. I can even spell my name now!
얄리슨 !!! haha.. not that that means anything to any of you, but I am excited. :)
Well, I have been travelling a lot on the weekends; trying to see as many people and things that I can. I actually went to Busan twice since the last time I wrote in here (it's so close and it's such a big city that it's a pretty popular destination). But I also went to visit a friend on an island off of Busan a couple weekends ago, which was beautiful! Last weekend, we went for a Fireworks Festival and, wow. That was just about one of the coolest things I have ever seen. We sat on the beach, overlooking the ocean where the fireworks were being set off (on the water) with a beautiful bridge behind it. The show easily put every Fourth of July display that I have ever seen to shame. It lasted for about an hour and was accompanied by music and a light show as well.. simply amazing, and a good reminder that I'm in Asia. haha..
I am still liking the food a lot, except for the occasional fish soup.. but my favorite food is called bibimbop, and it is basically just rice with a bunch of different vegetables and a little touch of a sauce that gives it more flavor, but you mix it all together and it's reallly good. I also like kimbop which is kind of like california rolls, except you can buy a whole roll for $1, so it's really cheap and tasty- you can also find it on just about every street corner! :)
It's finally starting to feel like fall here! The leaves are just starting to turn and the temperature is cooling down. I love it. :) I just want to spend all my time outside! Apparantly it usually gets cooler a lot earlier in the year than this, but they all blame it on global warming (the earth is sick, as one student put it). I also found out that they celebrate Christmas here very similarly to the way we do in America! They even have Christmas trees and decorations and everything.. I was kind of surprised by that, but I'm glad!
And speaking of Christmas... I am officially coming home for the holiday!!! YAY! I will get home on Christmas Eve and then be in the states until January 4th.. it worked out perfectly with my schedule here and my allotted time off, etc. Also, I am especially excited because I will be in Christie's wedding; (which is the primary reason I wanted to get home) it's not something I could imagine missing... so I am very thankful that it all worked out! I'm sure that that time will be a whirlwind of events, and reverse culture shock.. but I'm more than sure it will all be worth it. :)
Well, this is getting a bit long, so I will sign off for now.. but again.. I love you all so much and still feel your prayers on a daily basis, so thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope all is well with each of you. Feel free to write me more personally if you want! (Believe it or not, I'm usually pretty good at responding to emails) My email is allison.n.fritz@gmail.com. Oh and I have put a lot of pictures up on facebook, but I will try to get some up on here soon too!
Sarangheyo, 살란데요 Much love.
Anneonghigayseo. ㅇ나녀힠세요 Goodbye :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment